Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: Matheology § 224

Nam Nguyen wrote:

> On 12/04/2013 3:29 AM, Alan Smaill wrote:

> > Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca> writes:
> >

> >> But what is "meta-logic of the meta-language", in the context of FOL
> >> structure? Or is that at best just intuition and at worst just a
> >> buzzword?

> > You tell us that it is possible to reason about language structures.
> > What logic are you using to do that -- or is that at best just intuition?

> I've used FOL ( _First Order Logic_ ) definitions that one should be
> familiar with.

First order logic is useless in this respect. What is needed is a
higher order logic, or first order logic with non-logical axioms
governing the non-logical symbols. For example, higher order logic, or
a theory of sets, is needed to do formal model theory. That is what
Tarski did in his 'Concept of truth in formalized languages' paper.

> If anything, notation like "this" is defined in term of FOL
> terminologies.

How?

> So I don't see all that historical context of "meta-logic" would
> have anything to do with the issue of, say, whether or not it's
> impossible to construct the naturals as a language model.
>
> If you could construct it, as I did construct Mg, M1, ..., then present
> the construction, otherwise at least for the time being admit you
> couldn't do it.
>
> Why would that be such a difficult task for one to do?

Your Ms cannot be defined outside of a (formal or informal) language of
sets.

Date Subject Author
4/12/13
Read Re: Matheology § 224