Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Matheology § 224

On 13/04/2013 11:47 AM, Peter Percival wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>

>> Peter asked me specifically what the relativity of
>> truth value of a formula be in the context of language
>> structure.
>>
>> And I gave a clear cut example of an F being absolutely true
>> in a M, and the truth of a F' being relativistic in the same M.
>>
>> Would you or would you not understand, in that example, that
>> the truth of a F' is relativistic as defined there?

> An example is not the same as a definition. An example may help to
> explain a definition but it cannot stand in place of a definition.

You might not be aware but I already defined that when discussing
with Rupert in the other related thread.

But here in this thread I already mentioned with you that structure
theoretical truth is defined in term of set-membership truth.

Therefore, it's sufficient to define what it means by absolute/relative
set-membership truth.

Given a set S:

Def-1 - If an individual (element) x is defined to be in S in a finite
manner or inductively, then x being in S is defined an absolute
truth.

Def-2 - If an individual (element) x isn't defined to be in S in a
finite manner or inductively, then then x being in S, or not,
is defined as a relative truth, or falsehood, respectively

Would you et al. understand Def-1 and Def-2 definitions now?

If you do, the truth-value an formula F in a structure M being relative
would be just a consequential definition from Def-2.

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
4/12/13
Read Re: Matheology § 224