Topic: What the heck happened to Trigonometry in the Common Core??!!
Replies: 5   Last Post: Apr 17, 2013 9:04 PM

bill wickes

RE: What the heck happened to Trigonometry in the Common Core??!!
att1.html (22.0 K)

If you think that's crazy..try teaching algebra 2/ trig for one semester 70
minute classes from Feb Till June.that is what we are doing.RSHS

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org]
On Behalf Of Regina Stasiak
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:50 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: What the heck happened to Trigonometry in the Common Core??!!

I don't know how to get someone to listen to me (us.) When is this madness
going to stop with non-math educators in control of setting up this
curriculum?! If you look at the new PARCC (which I understand is not the
true Common Core picture but supposedly pretty close) guidelines,
Trigonometry has now gone from 40 days total over 4 years (which is absurd
to begin with) to 35 days??!!

How do you expect any STEM progress to be made in NYS, let alone this
country, with 35 days of trig scheduled??!! (I understand this is the
minimum but still..the first years will be minimal.)

Doesn't PARCC stand for "Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College
and Careers?"

I know for a fact my daughter (a freshman in Engineering at University of
Buffalo) does nothing but Calculus/Physics/Engineering all day long..and
it's nothing but some form of trig application all day long. Thank God
she's out of high school before this train wreck happens.

At our last inservice day (I have been teaching in NYS for 30 years), I
asked our superintendent, principal, and director of curriculum (who all
happened to be meeting with our high school math department that day) if
they understood that the way we are implementing the common core is
ethically and morally wrong for the kids of NYS.their response was "yes."

Regina Stasiak

Clarence HS Math Department

From: EZseller@nasboces.org
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: Differences in the curriculum
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:25:10 +0000

Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards organizes the high school
mathematics standards into grade-by-grade courses. NYSED had indicated that
they chose the traditional path. At another time it was indicated that NYSED
would be following the PARCC frameworks. The frameworks for the high school
courses are being developed.

http://www.parcconline.org/mcf/mathematics/high-school-standards-analysis

From: eet314@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:21:09 -0400
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org

Gene, I think your comment sums up what I am actually looking for.
(Standards that are specific for each course!)

"actually creating a standard that is specific for each course (which would
have been the most helpful choice)."

I work in a very small school middle school (I am the only teacher for
Integrated Algebra in the middle school) and would love to see the specific
standards that others are using.

If anyone is willing to share theirs with me I would be so appreciative!!!

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Gene Jordan <gjordan@btboces.org> wrote:

I was slowly working on that as well, and for me the hard part of the new
Algebra curriculum is distinguishing the assessment limits for those
dual-standards that are taught in both courses. The document linked has that
information laid out in the clearest way, short of actually creating a
standard that is specific for each course (which would have been the most
helpful choice).

There are teachers in my BOCES who are working on HS curricula that match
the "modules" sequence and the PARCC's focus areas. Are other
districts/BOCES working on this?

http://engageny.org/sites/default/files/resource/attachments/a_story_of_func
tions_currriculum_map_and_overview_9-12.pdf

~Gene Jordan

From: Elise Teitelbaum <eet314@gmail.com>
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: 04/12/2013 07:46 AM
Subject: Differences in the curriculum
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org

_____

Can anybody tell me what is in the new Integrated Algebra curriculum (for
the 2014 test) that is not in the curriculum for the this year's exam?

Are there more topics that need to be covered prior to next year's early
June exam compared to the topics that need to be covered for this year's mid
June exam.

Is there a site that I can access to see the differences?

_____

Spam
<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mJmXQ2aM&m=5a9733500626&t=20130412
&c=s>
Not spam
<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mJmXQ2aM&m=5a9733500626&t=20130412
&c=n>
Forget previous vote
<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mJmXQ2aM&m=5a9733500626&t=20130412
&c=f>

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic mail transmission is intended for
the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named
above. This message may contain confidential student or personnel data or an
attorney-client communication and as such is privileged and confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this message and any attached documents in error, that any review,
dissemination/disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail and delete the original message and documents. Thank
you for your cooperation.

This e-mail may contain confidential material protected under the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act or HIPAA. If this e-mail is sent to you
and you are not entitled to access such information federal regulations
require that you destroy the e-mail and you may not forward it to anyone. If
you have received this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient please
notify the sender ASAP by return e-mail.