Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Matheology S 224

On 14/04/2013 7:40 PM, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
> Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca> writes:

>>> Also, if you'd like to help the debate about my cGC thesis,
>>> why don't you offer a closure on my Def-1 and Def-2.
>>>
>>> I'm serious in saying that it's crucial to my thesis about
>>> cGC. If such a simple definition of set-membership truth-relativity
>>> is technically wrong, inconsistent, or what have you, of course my
>>> entire thesis would falter to pieces. And you will never hear me attempt
>>> on the relativity of cGC truth anymore.
>>>
>>> But I do need a closure on these 2 definitions.

>> Naturally _everyone_ who could constructively contribute to the closure
>> would be welcomed. And if I miss anyone in the below list I'd like
>> to apologize in advance.
>>
>> In particular, with some reasons no so important of my own, I'd
>> like appreciate in advance if Chris Menzel, Herman Rubin, Franz
>> Fritsche, Aatu Koskensilta, George Greene, Dave Seaman, Rupert,
>> Jim Burns, could offer some analysis and closure on my Def-1 and Def-2
>> as presented in:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/e6f47fad548fbb97?hl=en

> You sure seem eager for some comments. I know I'm not on the list,
> but I'll bite.

First is my non-technical caveat about the list of names. It obviously
can only be a finite list so any in which way I would have listed,
an apparent "offending" would occur however unintentionally. And I
did apologize in advance for that. To prove the point, after I sent
out the list I realized I forgot to mention Mike Oliver. The reason
for the finite list, as I've said is of _my own reason but isn't an_
_important one_ .

Based on some dialogs in the past, I believe correctly or incorrectly
those I mentioned _might_ be aware of some of the technical motivation
behind my presenting for years. That's all: just the motivation; I
certainly did _not_ chose the list based on who I'd think be "on my
side", so to speak.

In any rate, I did invite "_everyone_ who could constructively
contribute ...".

> ,----
> | Given a set S:
> |
> | Def-1 - If an individual (element) x is defined to be in S in a finite
> | manner or inductively, then x being in S is defined an absolute
> | truth.
> |
> | Def-2 - If an individual (element) x isn't defined to be in S in a
> | finite manner or inductively, then then x being in S, or not,
> | is defined as a relative truth, or falsehood, respectively
> |
> | Would you et al. understand Def-1 and Def-2 definitions now?
> `----
>
> I don't understand the definitions at all, because I don't know what
> it means that "x is defined to be in S in a finite manner or
> inductively."

Let's do the finite case first, and I will address the "inductively"
case after.

The finite case is the quite similar to the definition of FOL
syntactical theorems, where a proof of a formula is a _finite_
_sequence of proof-steps_ conforming to a certain patterns (of
application of rules of inference). We have no choice but take
for granted what certain priori, "finite", "sequence", "steps",
etc... would mean.

What Def-1 says in the finite case is that given a set S, if an
element x is proven, verified to be in a non-empty _finite subset_
of S then x being a member of S is defined to be an absolute truth.
Naturally here we also take for granted what it'd mean by "finite
subset", an element being in a set or not, to know or to verify an
element to be or not to be in a finite set, etc...

> In fact, I understand almost none of that phrase. I don't know what
> it means for x to be "defined to be in S", much less so defined "in a
> finite manner or inductively".

I'm not sure I understand your objection here: isn't defining a set S
is defining certain elements x's _to be in S_ ?

> So, there you have it -- a response

Sure. Likewise I think I've explained your concern, in the finite case.

Are you with me so far?

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
4/12/13