Topic: Pairing two different values on one plot
Replies: 19   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 2:44 AM

dpb

Re: Pairing two different values on one plot

On 4/16/2013 8:51 AM, Steven_Lord wrote:
> "dpb" <none@non.net> wrote in message

>> On 4/16/2013 12:52 AM, PK wrote:
>>

>>> now I managed to get dates on x axis but it only shows the date not the
>>> time. and the cursot tip still shows the number 7.~+005 with my data.

>> doc datetick % specify format you want
>>
>> As for the cursor, don't know--there's a good possibility TMW hasn't
>> implemented the conversion back to a date string from the datenum.
>>
>> doc datestr % to convert back
>>
>> Best I know is a callback routine that incorporates it but never tried
>> it...

> You can specify a custom display function for use by data cursors.
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/datacursormode.html
>
> See the second half of the Example for how to specify the UpdateFcn.
> Instead of using NUM2STR as the Example does, you'd use DATESTR.

Ah, very good...thanks, Steven.

And, NB: if want time on the x-axis, you'll probably run out of room to
display full date-time strings on the plot. Depending on how long your
series is you may need to plot only the increasing portion of the
datenums instead of the full number--ie, subtract dn(1) from the vector
and plot it. Then use a time-only format string and text() to label a
date manually, perhaps.

Have always thought datetick() needed some more smarts to be able to
write 2-line labels to deal w/ the limited space available but afaik it
doesn't (altho I didn't know for sure about the cursor mode, either... :) )