Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

fom

Re: Matheology S 224

On 4/17/2013 11:29 AM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> fom wrote:

>>> "x is in a non-empty subset of S" can be expressed in the language of a
>>> first order theory with a binary predicate e. The intended meaning of e
>>> is given by the non-logical axioms of that theory.
>>>
>>> What reason is there to suppose that "x is proven" cannot be expressed
>>> in the language of a first order theory with a unary predicate p (say)?
>>> The intended meaning of p would then be given by the non-logical axioms
>>> of that theory.
>>>
>>> Note that set theory can express its own provability predicate.
>>>

>> Really? Are you referring to, say, Kunen's discussion of
>> Tarski's undefinability of truth by representing formulas
>> with their Goedel numbers?

> Yes, that is what I had in mind. Have I misrepresented Kunen?

No. I had to think about what you said and how it applied.

But, here is a strange thought motivated by Kunen's remarks
and Kleene's discussion on the eliminability of descriptions:

"So, mathematics has reached this curious place where
the meaning of statements is given by semantic truth
conditions based upon an indeterminable ontology presumed
through purported denotation in relation to the descriptive
introduction of names eliminable through representation
within the uninterpreted syntax by means of arithmetization
of syntax in terms of statements whose meanings are purported
to be that of individual natural numbers given by semantic
truth conditions based upon...."

The person to whom I made that remark never responded.

:-)

Date Subject Author
4/12/13
Read Re: Matheology § 224