Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

fom

Re: Matheology S 224

On 4/17/2013 11:29 AM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> fom wrote:

>>> "x is in a non-empty subset of S" can be expressed in the language of a
>>> first order theory with a binary predicate e. The intended meaning of e
>>> is given by the non-logical axioms of that theory.
>>>
>>> What reason is there to suppose that "x is proven" cannot be expressed
>>> in the language of a first order theory with a unary predicate p (say)?
>>> The intended meaning of p would then be given by the non-logical axioms
>>> of that theory.
>>>
>>> Note that set theory can express its own provability predicate.
>>>

>> Really? Are you referring to, say, Kunen's discussion of
>> Tarski's undefinability of truth by representing formulas
>> with their Goedel numbers?

> Yes, that is what I had in mind. Have I misrepresented Kunen?

Ran across this yesterday. It has a mention about set theory
that is relevant to your statement.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth-axiomatic/#2.1

It is not much. Just that truth definitions do not really
help since one needs something stronger than set theory
upon which to base the construction. I guess the arithmetic
of natural numbers relies on the Gentzen consistency proof
as a basis for the sensibility of truth predicates. But,
I would need to learn more to be sure.

I do not really know much about arithmetic and its
metamathematics.

Date Subject Author
4/12/13
Read Re: Matheology § 224