Topic: Matheology § 253
Replies: 30   Last Post: Apr 22, 2013 2:44 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology § 253

On 19 Apr., 09:34, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <6f2faae2-dada-47a3-b172-aff3ad776...@y2g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > So, mathematics has become theological because
> > > it treats real numbers as individuals although
> > > they cannot be named

> > Since numbers do not exists, in mathematics, i.e., in discourse, other
> > than as names

> Nonsense!
> If numbers existed only as names then different names would necessarily
> represent different numbers,

No. Look, the unicorn does not exist other than as its name. But there
are different written names and many different pictures describing it.

> but a great deal of both arithmetic and
> algebra is aimed at showing how different names can represent the same
> number. Equations often do no more than that.

Of course. There are many names for the number one, eins, unity, 1, I.
But numbers that have no names and no representations do not exist
such that they could exert any action upon us or that we could exert
any action upon them. We cannot use them. Even if they existed, they
were inaccessible. They cannot even exist like devils and angels in
the phantasy. Not even a matheologian can think of them as
individuals, because there is nothing in this world related to them.
The only thing related to them is to believe that there is a huge set
of them. That is matheology.

Regards, WM