Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Matheology S 224

On 19/04/2013 5:55 AM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:

>>> You wrote:
>>>
>>> '"x is in a non-empty subset of S" could be _expressed_ as a FOL
>>> language expression: x e S' /\ Ay[ y e S' -> y e S].'
>>>
>>> How does the FOL expression express "x is in a non-empty subset of S"?
>>> It can only do so if "e" has a particular meaning. How is that meaning
>>> established?

>> By establishing the interpretation that "e" would mean "is a member of".

> How is that done? Note that "is a member of" does not have one
> meaning.

So how many meanings it would have? 10? 14? Can you list out all the
meanings it would have?

>>> Also, as I remarked elsewhere, "x e S' /\ Ay[ y e S' -> y e S]" doesn't
>>> express "x is in a non-empty subset of S".

>> Why?

> It says that x is in S' and S' is a subset of S.

How does that contradict that it would express "x is in a non-empty
subset of S", in this context where we'd borrow the expressibility
of L(ZF) as much as we could, as I had alluded before?

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
4/12/13
Read Re: Matheology § 224