Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: Matheology S 224

Nam Nguyen wrote:

> On 19/04/2013 8:42 AM, Frederick Williams wrote:

> > Nam Nguyen wrote:
> >

> >> "x is in a non-empty subset of S" could be _expressed_ as a FOL language
> >> expression: x e S' /\ Ay[ y e S' -> y e S].
> >>
> >> On the other hand, in "x is proven to be in a non-empty subset of S",
> >> the _meta phrase_ "is proven" can not be expressed by a FOL language:
> >> "is proven" pertains to a meta truth, which in turns can't be equated
> >> to a language expression: truth and semantics aren't the same.

> > "x is in a non-empty subset of S" can be expressed in a first order
> > language which has a binary relation symbol 'e' interpreted as the 'is
> > an element of' relation between sets (though not in the way you have
> > written).

> Which specific way that I've used the symbol 'e' contrary to its usual
> interpretation?
>

> > What makes you think that there is no first order language
> > with a unary predicate (say) 'p' with 'px' interpreted as 'x is proven'
> > among formulae? I refer you to provability logic.

> If "provability logic" isn't First Order Logic, then it's not relevant
> to the context I'm talking _here about Def-1, Def-2_ .

If. My remark was about your claim that "x is in a non-empty subset of
S" could be expressed as a FOL formula, but "x is proven to be in a
non-empty subset of S" could not. It depends on what predicate and
relation symbols are in the language and how they are interpreted. My
'px' may be a formula in a FO language, just as your 'x e y' may be.

Date Subject Author
4/12/13
Read Re: Matheology § 224
Alan Smaill