Topic: Delta functions.
Replies: 14   Last Post: Apr 22, 2013 8:58 AM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: Delta functions.

clicliclic@freenet.de schrieb:

> As I usually succeed in consistently computing with Dirac delta's, I've
> felt no need to look into research on this. And while I don't know if
> such research exists, my gut feeling is that the delta's cannot be
> tweaked to qualify as members of your "field". By the way, since FriCAS
> is a strongly typed system, what type does it assign to delta(x) where x
> is a (say) complex irrational number?

Oops, this was nonsense: for 'complex' read 'real'. The Dirac delta
makes sense for real arguments only, albeit in as many dimensions as one
likes: it lives in R^n only: The flexibility required of the test
functions cannot be achieved on C.

Martin.