Topic: Matheology S 224
Replies: 16   Last Post: Apr 21, 2013 6:53 PM

fom

Re: Matheology S 224

On 4/20/2013 3:40 PM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:

>>> Yes. I thought about posting some links indicating
>>> that primitive symbols are undefined outside of a
>>> system of axioms (definition-in-use)
>>>
>>> The other aspect, though, is that Nam appears to be using an
>>> implicit existence assumption. So,
>>>
>>> AxASES'(xeS' /\ Ay(yeS' -> yeS))
>>>
>>> clarifies the statement and exhibits its second-order nature.
>>> This is fine since he claims that his work is not in the
>>> object language.

>> Right.

> If fom's formula is to express "x is in a non-empty subset of S" then it
> needs to have both x and S free, so delete the first two quantifiers.

Do you have a particular x and S in mind?

Or are we reverting to the distinction between real
and apparent variables from the first "Principia
Mathematica"?

Or are we interpreting a statement in relation to a
general usage over an unspecified domain? My quantifiers
are in place to make clear the meaning for general usage.

Within any context involving proof, the leading quantifiers
obey rules:

|AxASES'(xeS' /\ Ay(yeS' -> yeS))
|ASES'(teS' /\ Ay(yeS' -> yeS))
|ES'(teS' /\ Ay(yeS' -> yeP))
||(xeP' /\ Ay(yeP' -> yeP))

The original statement is assumed (hence, is stroked)

The existential statement is assumed (hence, a second stroke)

Now the presuppostions of use are clear.

That was my only purpose.