Topic: Sample Workbooks - Suggested sources to get a newbie going?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Apr 21, 2013 5:17 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Sample Workbooks - Suggested sources to get a newbie going?

Please do study the Mathematica documentation provided with the
software. And please learn the correct terminology: it's "notebook", not "workbook".

On Apr 20, 2013, at 5:43 AM, David Fennell <d_j_fennell@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Jerry and David,
>
> Please accept my apology for this delayed reply. The delay, while
> unavoidable, belies my appreciation for the help that you both

offered.

> After days away from home and office for family and unexpected customer
> obligations, I'm finally back in front of a computer to move my Mathematica
> project along. The example file you sent me, Jerry, is exactly what I was
> hoping for. I very much look forward to developing the skills to build
> workbooks like yours. It offers me insight into quite a few of the issues
> that I was struggling with. For example, I was trying to figure out a way
> to input expressions into a workbook such that a reader (my customer) can
> easily follow along (regarding the mathematical models used, not the actual
> computational execution) while still conforming to Mathematica's input
> syntax rules. I couldn't figure out how to do both at the same time.
> Jerry, your example workbook makes it very clear to me how to accomplish
> this objective elegantly.
>
> Books and Wolfram's excellent help system have been (and will continue to
> be) very helpful. But these resources tend to be narrowly focused (each
> article or book section; I'm not belittling the comprehensive range of
> discreet (limited context) topics covered by Wolfram's help system) and
> often fail to provide the context/big picture that sample workbooks can
> provide new users. Looking over the shoulder of colleagues, classmates,
> TAs, and Profs using Mathematica can teach one all sorts of tips and tricks
> that aren't easily picked up through Wolfram's help system. I'm taking
> point on this Mathematica venture at my workplace (no other Mathematica
> users around) so some of the basics that traditional training materials omit
> are hard for me to me come by. You both offered me great help here. Thank
> you.
>
> -Dave

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305