Topic: Easy to get the audio out of sync with the graphics (Repost)
Replies: 14   Last Post: Apr 26, 2013 11:08 PM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Speak errors (was Re: audio)

See interspersed responses:
On Apr 22, 2013, at 3:10 AM, Richard Fateman <fateman@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Historically, experiments at higher educational levels to introduce a
> computer algebra system into a math course have resulted in consequences
> like this:
> 1. Students, on average, resented having to learn "something else" (i.e.
> using computer program) that wasn't "on the final".

Simple solution: let students use the computer for all exams, too. (I've done that.)

> 2. On average they learned "no less" than students in the control group
> not using computers. But "no more" either.

What, exactly, does that mean? By what standards is this being judged? E.g., when comparing with a conventionally taught control group, does the comparison test asking what-if questions that require simulation or calculations, etc., beyond the normal capabilities of paper and pencil?

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305