Topic: Ask-an-Analysis problem
Replies: 10   Last Post: Apr 25, 2013 1:01 PM

Herman Rubin

Re: Ask-an-Analysis problem

On 2013-04-24, dullrich@sprynet.com <dullrich@sprynet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:52:09 +0000 (UTC), Herman Rubin
><hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote:

>>For one thing, the theorem is false. The most one can hope
>>to get is that f(x)=kx^q for some k and q>0. On the open
>>interval, q can even be negative.

>>One does not need to go that far. The general solution is
>>f(x)=x^q*h(log_2(x)), where h is any function.

> ??? Since log_2 is 1-1, allowing h to be any function
> here says that f can be any function.

It should be h is a periodic function of period 1.

Hardly. The condition specified requires that for all x,
f(x), f(2x), and f(4x) are in geometric progression. But
f can be any function satisfying this; the behavior between
two arguments, one double the other, can be arbitrary given c,
but f is dertermined completely from this.