Topic: Torkel Franzen argues
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 17, 2013 3:52 PM

FredJeffries@gmail.com

Re: Torkel Franzen argues

On Apr 25, 8:25 am, Alan Smaill <sma...@SPAMinf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Newberry <newberr...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Torkel Franzen argues that all the axioms of ZFC  are manifestly true
> > the logic apparatus is truth preserving therefore all is good and the
> > system is consistent.

> Really??
>
> Where did he make this claim?

In "The Popular Impact of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem"

http://www.ams.org/notices/200604/fea-franzen.pdf

he says:

"we can easily, indeed trivially, prove PA consistent using
reasoning of a kind that mathematicians otherwise
use without qualms in proving theorems of
arithmetic. Basically, this easy consistency proof observes
that all theorems of PA are derived by valid
logical reasoning from basic principles true of the
natural numbers, so no contradiction is derivable in PA"