Topic: Torkel Franzen argues
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 17, 2013 3:52 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Torkel Franzen argues

On 26/04/2013 10:37 AM, Herman Rubin wrote:
> On 2013-04-25, FredJeffries <fredjeffries@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Really??
>
>>> Where did he make this claim?
>

>> In "The Popular Impact of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem"
>
>> http://www.ams.org/notices/200604/fea-franzen.pdf
>
>> he says:
>
>> "we can easily, indeed trivially, prove PA consistent using
>> reasoning of a kind that mathematicians otherwise
>> use without qualms in proving theorems of
>> arithmetic. Basically, this easy consistency proof observes
>> that all theorems of PA are derived by valid
>> logical reasoning from basic principles true of the
>> natural numbers, so no contradiction is derivable in PA"

> Mathematicians are willing to assume PA is consistent.

Agree. For the record I've always assumed PA is consistent,
until of course if one day ones present a proof _IN_ PA
of the form (F /\ ~F).

But assumption is _not_ assertion, wouldn't you agree?

(That's all I'm asking.)

> The
> inconsistency of PA would mean that the basic principles
> of the natural numbers are inconsistent.
>
> I recommend that the discussion of the natural numbers from
> the basic principles be taught very early, and addition, etc.,
> be derived from them. They LOOK obvious. But if it is
> consistent, we know we cannot prove it.
>
> Now PA has been proved consistent in ZF or NBG, but then that
> brings the consistency of axioms for set theory.

NYOGEN SENZAKI