Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Peter Pein

Am 26.04.2013 19:22, schrieb clicliclic@freenet.de:
> Hum, issues. :)
>
> The problem with the integration of x/SQRT(a^4 - x^4) has been repaired
> in my reposting of the chapter-1 integrals on April 21st, after it was
> noticed by Axel. By now, the corresponding entry in my file reads:
>
> INT(x/SQRT(a^4 - x^4), x) = 1/2*ATAN(x^2/SQRT(a^4 - x^4))
> = 1/2*(a^2/SQRT(a^4 - x^4))*SQRT(1 - (x/a)^4)*ASIN((x/a)^2)
>
> The first evaluation is what Derive 6.10 actually produces with x and a
> declared complex. The second is in a sense closer to Timofeev's one.
>
> The "issue" concerning the integral of 1/SQRT(5 - 4*x + 3*x^2) has been
> been incorporated into my file right away:
>
> INT(1/SQRT(3*x^2 - 4*x + 5), x) = 1/SQRT(3)*ASINH((3*x - 2)/SQRT(11))
>
> Thanks! I had overlooked this possibility entirely!
>
> Martin.

I guess I should have put double quotes around the word issues in my
posting. Actually I think Mma should get 100% for this set of
integration tests.

Peter

P.S.: a real issue is the fact that Mma integrates
f[x_] = (1 - E)/(x - 1) + (E^((x + 1)/(x - 1)) - 1)/(x + 1);
for exactly one upper bound (z==-1) in:
intf[z_] = Integrate[f[x], {x, -Infinity, z}, Assumptions :> z < 1]
-->
ConditionalExpression[
EulerGamma + E EulerGamma + I Pi - E ExpIntegralEi[-1] -
ExpIntegralEi[1], z == -1]
Mma can do better but this is too off-topic for this thread :))

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de
Waldek Hebisch