Topic: Vectorized Code: *Why* it works..?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 27, 2013 2:52 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Vectorized Code: *Why* it works..?

On 4/26/2013 7:04 PM, Loki wrote:

> Vecorized code is tremedously faster when compared to non-vectorized
> code.
>
> Why is so? Reason lies only in CPU vector instructions that matlab
> uses internally when execute vetorized code, or there are other
> reasons?
>
> To find more informations via google is strangely difficult.

In here

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/techniques-for-improving-performance.html

It just says

"Vectorize your code to take advantage of the full functionality of MATLAB."

But if you follow the link to

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/vectorization.html

"Performance: Vectorized code often runs much faster than the corresponding code containing loops."

as to WHY vectorized code is faster, well, I think only person who can answer this
for sure, is someone working inside Matlab, in the run-time/compiler group.

But simply googling "matlab why is vectorized faster" I see many well reasoned
answers there all over the web on this. I only see sites showing that
vectorized code is not always faster the loops. I seem to remember that
few years ago MW did improvement to their jit compiler to improve loop
speeds, so the difference is not that much. I would guess it depend on
the code being processed each time.

--Nasser