Topic: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Replies: 38   Last Post: Apr 13, 2013 11:57 PM

Hetware

Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)

On 4/8/2013 12:07 AM, Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway wrote:
> "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway" wrote in message
>
> "Hetware" wrote in message
>
> This is the geodesic equation under discussion:
>
> d^2(r)/dt^2 = r(dp/dt)^2
>
> d^2(p)/dt^2 = -(2/r)(dp/dt)(dr/dt).
>
> r is radius in polar coordinates, p is the angle, and t is a path
> parameter.
>
> The authors ask me to "[S]olve the geodesic equation for r(t) and p(t),
> and show that the solution is a uniformly parametrized straight
> line(x===r cos(p) = at+p for some a and b; y===r sin(p) = jt+k for some
> j and k).
>
> I tried the following:
>
> (d^2(p)/dt^2)/(dp/dt) = -(2/r)(dr/dt)
>
> f=dp/dt
>
> (df/dt)/f = -(2/r)(dr/dt)
>
> -1/2 ln(f) + k = ln(r)
>
> a(f^(1/2)) = r
>
> a(dp/dt)^(1/2) = r
>
> And substitute for r in:
>
> d^2(r)/dt^2 = r(dp/dt)^2
>
> to get
>
> d^2(r)/dt^2 = a(dp/dt)^(3/2)
>
> But there I'm stuck.
>
> How should the problem be handled?
> What you have is a second order differential equation.
> Unlike the solution to the general polynomial equation,
> ax +bx^2 + cx^3 + ... + kx^n = 0, where you seek a value
> for x given values for a,b,c etc., the solution for a
> differential equation is a FUNCTION.
> In other words you cannot obtain a numerical or algebraic
> value (you don't have enough information and that is not
> the idea anyway) but you can find functions r(t) and p(t) .
> The authors have already told you the solution is a straight
> line, which is of course a function.
> http://search.snap.do/?q=solving+differential+equations&category=Web
> HTH, because we don't do homework for you.
>
> ================================
> Hetware's silence is deafening.
> We should all be poised at the ready to answer his questions
> immediately instead of sleeping in bed when he writes them.
>
> -- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
> Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
> When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an
> argument I cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

Do you realize how much codswallop is posted to this newsgroup in
comparison to actual relevant content? Oh well, whatever,
nevermind....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcJEvMcnEg

Date Subject Author
4/7/13
Read Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Guest
4/7/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Hetware
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Hetware
4/9/13
[...]
Dirk Van de moortel
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
rotchm@gmail.com
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dirk Van de moortel
4/13/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dono
4/13/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
rotchm@gmail.com
4/13/13
Read MTW, Exercise 8.5 (c), Crotchm reasserts his imbecility
Dono
4/13/13
Read MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his mouth,
big time
Dono
4/13/13
[...]
Read Re: MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his
mouth, big time
rotchm@gmail.com
4/13/13
Read Re: MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his
mouth, big time
Dono
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Guest
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dirk Van de moortel
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Rock Brentwood
4/8/13