Topic: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Replies: 38   Last Post: Apr 13, 2013 11:57 PM

Hetware

Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)

On 4/8/2013 12:58 AM, Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway wrote:
> "Hetware" wrote in message
>
> On 4/8/2013 12:07 AM, Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway wrote:

>> "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway" wrote in message
>>
>> "Hetware" wrote in message
>>
>> This is the geodesic equation under discussion:
>>
>> d^2(r)/dt^2 = r(dp/dt)^2
>>
>> d^2(p)/dt^2 = -(2/r)(dp/dt)(dr/dt).
>>
>> r is radius in polar coordinates, p is the angle, and t is a path
>> parameter.
>>
>> The authors ask me to "[S]olve the geodesic equation for r(t) and p(t),
>> and show that the solution is a uniformly parametrized straight
>> line(x===r cos(p) = at+p for some a and b; y===r sin(p) = jt+k for some
>> j and k).
>>
>> I tried the following:
>>
>> (d^2(p)/dt^2)/(dp/dt) = -(2/r)(dr/dt)
>>
>> f=dp/dt
>>
>> (df/dt)/f = -(2/r)(dr/dt)
>>
>> -1/2 ln(f) + k = ln(r)
>>
>> a(f^(1/2)) = r
>>
>> a(dp/dt)^(1/2) = r
>>
>> And substitute for r in:
>>
>> d^2(r)/dt^2 = r(dp/dt)^2
>>
>> to get
>>
>> d^2(r)/dt^2 = a(dp/dt)^(3/2)
>>
>> But there I'm stuck.
>>
>> How should the problem be handled?
>> What you have is a second order differential equation.
>> Unlike the solution to the general polynomial equation,
>> ax +bx^2 + cx^3 + ... + kx^n = 0, where you seek a value
>> for x given values for a,b,c etc., the solution for a
>> differential equation is a FUNCTION.
>> In other words you cannot obtain a numerical or algebraic
>> value (you don't have enough information and that is not
>> the idea anyway) but you can find functions r(t) and p(t) .
>> The authors have already told you the solution is a straight
>> line, which is of course a function.
>> http://search.snap.do/?q=solving+differential+equations&category=Web
>> HTH, because we don't do homework for you.
>>
>> ================================
>> Hetware's silence is deafening.
>> We should all be poised at the ready to answer his questions
>> immediately instead of sleeping in bed when he writes them.
>>
>> -- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
>> Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
>> When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an
>> argument I cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

> Do you realize how much codswallop is posted to this newsgroup in
> comparison to actual relevant content? Oh well, whatever,
> nevermind....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcJEvMcnEg
> SR and GR are codswallop, so it is scarcely surprising if 99%
> of posts to sci.physics.relativity are codswallop.
> The video you cited is also codswallop. This is much better:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI

The English translation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XvlsM39C-U

Hey; don't get me wrong, I contribute $100s USD to WETA per year.

http://www.weta.org/fm

Date Subject Author
4/7/13
Read Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Guest
4/7/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Hetware
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Hetware
4/9/13
[...]
Dirk Van de moortel
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
rotchm@gmail.com
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dirk Van de moortel
4/13/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dono
4/13/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
rotchm@gmail.com
4/13/13
Read MTW, Exercise 8.5 (c), Crotchm reasserts his imbecility
Dono
4/13/13
Read MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his mouth,
big time
Dono
4/13/13
[...]
Read Re: MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his
mouth, big time
rotchm@gmail.com
4/13/13
Read Re: MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his
mouth, big time
Dono
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Guest
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dirk Van de moortel
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Rock Brentwood
4/8/13