Topic: Interpreting ZFC
Replies: 14   Last Post: Apr 30, 2013 3:45 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: Interpreting ZFC

On Apr 30, 12:47 pm, me <me154...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 3:29 am, Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That is a nice observation Herc.
>
> > > The only problem is that the foundational
> > > investigations for mathematics have a historical
> > > context.

> > > What is correct about mereology is that it is
> > > consistent with Leibniz.  In analyzing the notion
> > > of class, Lesniewski concluded that the existential
> > > import of a class and its constituents is
> > > simultaneous.  In describing the difference, he
> > > explained the notion as intensional and contrasted
> > > it with the extensional logic of a Fregean or a
> > > Russellian approach.

> > > In like fashion, Leibniz contrasted his notion
> > > of logic with the extensional Scholastic logic.
> > > In this respect Leibniz' logic is also intensional
> > > for a different reason.  In Leibniz' case, the sense
> > > of the syllogistic hierarchy had been characterized
> > > by informational complexity.  In other words, a genus
> > > is part of a species because more information is needed
> > > to specify a species than that of the genus with which
> > > it is associated.

> > > It is an unfortunate fact that most of modern
> > > foundational mathematics is overly influenced by
> > > Russell without questioning Russell's philosophy.

> > > For what this is worth, Cantor rejected the "extension
> > > of a concept" formulation used by Frege and Russell.
> > > In fact, Cantor's notion of sets involves a "theory
> > > of ones" approach which suggests a Leibnizian view
> > > of individuation.

> > > I would argue that the problem with the received
> > > paradigm is that the sign of equality is improperly
> > > characterized.  Leibniz' original introduction of
> > > the principle of identity of indiscernibles involves
> > > geometric intuitions not represented in the logicist
> > > framework of Frege and Russell.

> > > Your criticism of mereology will be believed by those
> > > who have not pursued what the original sources have
> > > written.  And, it will be respected by me because of
> > > its insight.  It is, however, a statement that does
> > > not question the alternative which is equally nonsensical.

> > > Analytical philosophy is based on one thing -- avoid epistemology
> > > at all costs.  When one denies that position, there are
> > > not many choices,

> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_Trilemma

.
.
.

For those who didn't read the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_Trilemma

The Münchhausen Trilemma (after Baron Münchhausen, who allegedly
pulled himself and the horse on which he was sitting out of a swamp by
his own hair),

.
.
.
.

> > TODAY!
>
> > Ponytail stunt ends in death
> > A daredevil stuntman has died while attempting to cross a river using
> > just his ponytail.

> >http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/world/16933347/Ponytail-stunt...
>
> > That answers that question!

.
.
.
.

VERY NEXT DAY! Check the Yankee Uniform on this guy!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/world/16933347/Ponytail-stunt/

Same as the guy in the Wiki picture!!

COINCIDENCE!
.
.
.
.

> > Herc
> > --
> > www.,BLoCKPROLOG.com

> I am actually a different species, you guys are racists amongst each
> other! you know what that means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JdWayrLXUs

Herc