Topic: Interpreting ZFC
Replies: 14   Last Post: Apr 30, 2013 3:45 PM

me 154934

Re: Interpreting ZFC

On Apr 30, 5:02 am, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 4/29/2013 9:29 PM, Graham Cooper wrote:

&thats a bit like choosing a marriage bcos I wanted to be member of an
elite family with my own brothers Herc?

> >> That is a nice observation Herc.
>
> >> The only problem is that the foundational
> >> investigations for mathematics have a historical
> >> context.

yes we know that becos most people also study phonemic developments
from ancient times also with development of characters to describe
quantities in formulae

> >> What is correct about mereology is that it is
> >> consistent with Leibniz.

Born November 14th. Hebrew.

>>>  In analyzing the notion
> >> of class, Lesniewski

Born March 30, 1886 Poland. then taught Tarski?
(simons)

> >> concluded that the existential
> >> import of a class and its constituents is
> >> simultaneous.  In describing the difference, he
> >> explained the notion as intensional and contrasted
> >> it with the extensional logic of a Fregean or a
> >> Russellian approach.

> >> In like fashion, Leibniz contrasted his notion
> >> of logic with the extensional Scholastic logic.
> >> In this respect Leibniz' logic is also intensional
> >> for a different reason.  In Leibniz' case, the sense
> >> of the syllogistic hierarchy had been characterized
> >> by informational complexity.  In other words, a genus
> >> is part of a species because more information is needed
> >> to specify a species than that of the genus with which
> >> it is associated.

and any new species is created by the demands of that progenerative
genus ie, any or all of its forefathers

> >> It is an unfortunate fact that most of modern
> >> foundational mathematics is overly influenced by
> >> Russell without questioning Russell's philosophy.

> >> For what this is worth, Cantor rejected the "extension
> >> of a concept" formulation used by Frege and Russell.
> >> In fact, Cantor's notion of sets involves a "theory
> >> of ones" approach which suggests a Leibnizian view
> >> of individuation.

> >> I would argue that the problem with the received
> >> paradigm is that the sign of equality is improperly
> >> characterized.  Leibniz' original introduction of
> >> the principle of identity of indiscernibles involves
> >> geometric intuitions not represented in the logicist
> >> framework of Frege and Russell.

and then theres natural human reasoning as well

> >> Your criticism of mereology will be believed by those
> >> who have not pursued what the original sources have
> >> written.  And, it will be respected by me because of
> >> its insight.  It is, however, a statement that does
> >> not question the alternative which is equally nonsensical.

and your or anyone elses respect accounts for?

> >> Analytical philosophy is based on one thing -- avoid epistemology
> >> at all costs.  When one denies that position, there are
> >> not many choices,

on the contrary ! there are so many natural meanings or choices...so
many to decide it has an effect of causing some reasoning to
'misadventure'

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_Trilemma
>
> > TODAY!
>
> > Ponytail stunt ends in death
> > A daredevil stuntman has died while attempting to cross a river using
> > just his ponytail.

> >http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/world/16933347/Ponytail-stunt...
>
> > That answers that question!
>
> No question had been posed.
>
> But, I like the ad lib.  Feel sorry for the guy, though.

and as this is a 'multifaith' history of math history, what faith is
your own? or did your faith and reasoning 'adventure' have any effect
on your own response.

R.S.V.S.P.?