Topic: the situation is worse than you thought
Replies: 40   Last Post: May 17, 2013 12:54 AM

karl

Re: the situation is worse than you thought

Am 30.04.2013 09:27, schrieb quasi:
> RichD wrote:
>

>> Yesterday, I was on a college shuttle bus. The driver
>> was telling a passenger about the alumni donors, that
>> you have to give a billion $ to get your name on a
>> monument; "Do you know how much is a billion?
>> It's about a hundred million"
>>
>> Are bus drivers allowed to vote? This explains much.

> In the UK, a billion _is_ equal to 100 million.
>
> In the US, a billion equals 1000 million.
>
> Perhaps the bus driver had a UK-based education.
>
> quasi

That is new to me.

I thought, in Europe a billion is 10^(12), i.e. 1000*1000 millions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Karl

Date Subject Author
4/30/13
Read the situation is worse than you thought
Rich Delaney
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Edward A. Falk
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Michael A. Terrell
5/1/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Robin Chapman
5/15/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Rock Brentwood
5/15/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Robert Baer
5/15/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/16/13
Read thisBar slamSinto anAccelerometer TM
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/17/13
Read thisBar slamSinto aDecelerometer TM
Brian Q. Hutchings
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
karl
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Jasen Betts
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
5/1/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Fred Abse
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Martin Brown
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
5/1/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
rickman
5/4/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com
5/5/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
rickman
5/1/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
5/1/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
quasi
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Spehro Pefhany
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
George Herold
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Jeff Liebermann
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Tom Del Rosso
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Jeff Liebermann
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Tom Del Rosso
4/30/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Spehro Pefhany
5/16/13
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
timro21