Topic: Based on the quadrilateral tree
Replies: 14   Last Post: May 8, 2013 7:00 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Based on the quadrilateral tree

God and John Conway both disagree with you here, Wayne.

But the real lesson here is this: Always read the definitions that the
author of the book you're reading uses.

And if you're teaching mathematics below the graduate level, you should
realize that when you use a definition in the classroom that's different
from the textbook's definition you're just asking for trouble.

On Thu, 02 May 2013 14:48:05 -0600, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu>
wrote:

> But he is also right. Although favored in some circles, it is one of
> those (rather few) situations where the inclusive definition is not
> universal. In fact, I think the majority of us prefer his, exactly 1
> pair of parallel sides. Moreover, convictions border on the religious.
> You know, God is on our side whichever side that is.

- --Lou Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>