Topic: Based on the quadrilateral tree
Replies: 14   Last Post: May 8, 2013 7:00 PM

kirby urner

Re: Based on the quadrilateral tree

I think it's healthy and productive in mathematics to find these areas
where people agree to disagree, or else go off the deep end and get
full blown religious, mount some kind of jihad.

The trapezoid example is especially valuable because it's so
accessible. To find some inclusive / exclusive dialectic in topology
more generally might require too much background to let the reader
even care.

In the programming world I frequent, we have similar vicious debates
between camps which boil down to who is most willing to see it as
either/or.

"Complementary" and "Oppositional" are different concepts for a reason.

Remember "opposites attract": sometimes a divergence is a basis for
strong bonding. The difference is treasured.

Kirby