Topic: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 4, 2013 11:24 PM

fom

Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method

On 5/2/2013 7:53 PM, Hercules ofZeus wrote:
> On Apr 21, 5:39 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
>> In article <Me6dnerBAcAL8O7MnZ2dnUVZ_rWdn...@giganews.com>,
>>
>> fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:

>>> This is a easy, readable paper of the same
>>> title by Kanamori. A historical analysis
>>> of how infinity entered mathematical discourse.

>>> http://kurt.scitec.kobe-u.ac.jp/~fuchino/xpapers/infinity.pdf
>>
>>> OP: Marc Garcia at FOM
>>
>>> (Virgil -- you will find a familiar proof
>>> at the bottom of page 5)

>> Yes! A nice version of it, too.
>>
>> And a nice paper which shows just how far out of any real mathematics WM
>> has put himself.
>>

> there is no _method_ to any of it though...
>
> DEFINE digit1 is different to row1, digit2 is different to row2, and
> so on...
> therefore infinite strings are bigger sets than finite strings...
>
> Its merely ONTO, SURJECTIVE definitions thrown directly onto
> a good optical effect of looking down the infinite plane at an angle
>
> no new digit sequence is EVER constructed using this 'method' and this
> is provable.

Well, I am not sure as to which part you are objecting.

I know you have your own difficulties with the Cantor
diagonal argument.

I applaud you for recognizing the role of projective
geometry as the underlying basis of one-to-one
correspondence.

It is also the basis of classical negation.

Date Subject Author
4/21/13
Read mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
4/21/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Hercules ofZeus
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read not testability; arises due identity relation(s)
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/4/13