Topic: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 4, 2013 11:24 PM

fom

Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method

On 5/3/2013 6:19 PM, Graham Cooper wrote:
> On May 3, 8:15 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
>>

> Well its fine to call it all philosophy anyway, but there
> are real world problems here!

I know. Up until the dot-com crash, I had been a
Sun Solaris systems/network administrator and an
Oracle database administrator.

> Most of ZFC axioms port across to PROLOG...
>
> AXIOM OF PAIRING
>
> e( A , union( S1, S2 ) ) :- e( A , S1 ).
> e( A , union( S1, S2) ) :- e(A , S2 ).
>
> Now you can WRITE EXPRESSIONS with UNION
>
> eq( union( odds, evens) , nats ) ?

>> YES
>

> but the AXIOM OF EXTENSIONALITY
>
> (set equality) is completely useless on infinite sets.

Have you considered looking at New Foundations? There
is current interest and it has no axiom of infinity.

As a matter of curiosity, why bother with ZFC or any
set theory for that matter? There are an immmense
number of computationally interesting problems (such
as your posts concerning temporal logic). Why bother
with problems that are fundamentally impossible for
a computer?

Date Subject Author
4/21/13
Read mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
4/21/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Hercules ofZeus
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read not testability; arises due identity relation(s)
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/4/13