Topic: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 4, 2013 11:24 PM

fom

Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method

On 5/3/2013 8:20 PM, Graham Cooper wrote:

> You don't just 'choose' a foundational theory, none of ZFC holds up
> to Induction, when it's derived proofs are more closely examined
> there is a lot of convoluted circular reasoning...

At which point I return to the remark made earlier. The logicians
of the late nineteenth and twentieth century went to great pains
to reject epistemology. They are simply rediscovering it within
their formalisms while continuing along that path of rejection.

There are not many choices...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_Trilemma

At least I know why I make the choices I make.

AxAy(xcy <-> (Az(ycz -> xcz) /\ Ez(xcz /\ -ycz)))

AxAy(xey <-> (Az(ycz -> xez) /\ Ez(xez /\ -ycz)))

Unfortunately, they would do you no good either.

Date Subject Author
4/21/13
Read mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
4/21/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Hercules ofZeus
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read not testability; arises due identity relation(s)
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/4/13