Topic: How does infinitesimal exist?
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jun 7, 2013 12:13 AM

Angela Richardson

From: UK
Registered: 6/22/11
Re: RE: How does infinitesimal exist?
att1.html (6.1 K)

Not particularly discrete, but...

http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/thereals/
http://planetmath.org/cantorsdiagonalargument
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebesgue_measure

There are more irrationals than rationals because it is possible to assign every rational number a unique irrational number, e.g. by assigning pi*a/b to a/b, but impossible to assign every irrational number a unique rational number. Between any two rationals, or between any two reals, there are only countably many rationals but uncountably many reals.

I still don't understand what "infinitely divided" means. Is it something to do with Dedekind cuts?

A single point, or countable set of points, has a size of 0, but if a set X of points is such that |B|=|AnB|+|A\B| then its size is the least upper bound of the sums of the sizes of any
covering of the set by intervals, and the size of (a,b) or [a,b] is just b-a.  There are sets where it is not possible to find the length, like Vitali sets, which are subsets of [0,1] such that for every real number r there is a unique member v of the Vitali set such that v-r is rational.