Topic: Matheology � 258
Replies: 104   Last Post: May 5, 2013 2:26 PM

fom

Re: Matheology § 258

On 5/4/2013 12:13 PM, WM wrote:

>>> Cantor's argument is a single-eyed look into the infinite.
>>> Forall n : d_n =/= a_nn is considered important.
>>> Forall n : (d_n) is in the list, is not considered important.

>> Why should it be considered important under the definition of
>> equality? If they have at least one different digit , THEY'RE
>> DIFFERENT.

> But there always only finitely many with at least one different digit
> whereas there are always infinitely many with none different digit.
>

>> Every finite digit appears in the list at least once , but NEVER DO
>> ALL OF THEM APPEAR AT ONCE , IN THE SAME NUMBER.

> Stop shouting. In order to support your "never", you should be able to
> prove it. But you are not. You can look at a finite domain only, since
> every line n is at a finite place and is followed by infinitely many
> more lines.
>

>> THIS IS REQUIRED TO DISPROVE CANTOR :
>> exists n , forall m , a_nm = d_m

> Of course, in a list that contains all rationals, this is easily
> proved.
> A simpler case is the list:
>
> 0.0
> 0.1
> 0.11
> 0.111
>
> with the substitution 0 --> 1.
>
> For all a_nn at finite places n (and others cannot be substituted at
> all) we have all (d_1, ..., d_n) as an entry in the list.
>
> Your assertion that in your anti-diagonal there are more than all
> digits that are already covered by the list is simply nonsense.
>
> And the proposal of ZeitGeist, that all digits 1 at possible finite
> indices are in the list but distributed over several lines and not in
> a single line, can be shouted loudly in a mad house, probably even
> there raising objections, but not in mathematics..
>
> My list is constructed such that all possible squences of digits 1 are
> already in the list. No longer sequence is possible (otherwise it
> would be in the list) and a shorter sequence cannot support Cantor's
> claim.
>
> Simple as that.
>

>> And would you stop it with the countable language already?
>
> A language is man-made. Men cannot make uncountable language. And they
> could not convey information by uncountable language.
>
> So if there was an "uncountable language", it was not a language (by
> the way like finished infinity is not unfinished and therefore is no
> infinity).
>

>> I find again ,sadly , that in this one circumstance , what cannot be
>> said must be passed down in silence.

> In particular an uncountable language would force you to silence
> because it is no language. Similarly:
> An "infinitely complicated law" means no law at all. [§ 125]
>
> If you are interested in some more quotes by Wittgenstein, here you
> are:
>
> It isn't just impossible "for us men" to run through the natural
> numbers one by one; it's impossible, it means nothing. [?] you can?t
> [...]

With all due respect, at what point did Wittgenstein produce
a mathematics that could reconcile Berkeley and Newton?

The answer to that question illustrates the ultimate failure
of mere criticism.

Date Subject Author
4/29/13
Read Re: Matheology � 258