Topic: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 4, 2013 11:24 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method

On May 5, 10:57 am, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 5/4/2013 7:30 PM, Graham Cooper wrote:
>

> > That Paradigm is not even used with a valid set theory
>
> I am rather unconcerned with the
> pretend mathematics that occurs in
> computation where thousands of real
> mathematical results are involved
> prior to the compilation of a "hello
> world" program.
>
> I wish I knew more about prolog in order
> to counter your statements appropriately.
>
> But, I do not.
>
> I am curious, however, about the notion
> of "valid set theory".

Starting with MODUS PONENS
you come across the need to MATCH 1 predicate
from the LHS (or RHS) of an inference rule
to existing theorems.

This is the algorithm UNIFY( f1(a,b,c) , f2(c,d,e) ) => TRUE/FALSE

From here you gain HORN CLAUSES

p(a,b,c,d)
p(a,b,c,d) <- CLAUSE & CLAUSE & CLAUSE

where the TAIL predicates are recursively matched also
down to a raw base fact (theorem) with no CLAUSES.

It is widely believed that HORN CLAUSES can only perform
a subset of LOGIC due to finite negation by exhaustion, (no NOT).

a raw PROLOG INTERPRETER contains nothing
more than the UNIFY algorithm.

WHY PROLOG WILL DICTATE THE FUTURE OF LOGIC THEORY
JAN 1 Graham Cooper

https://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/browse_thread/thread/f2f73dab363fe212/7784171d91816916

This was from MITCH another mere-logicist and
unfortunate victim of George Greene in 2004.

https://groups.google.com/group/sci.logic/msg/57c198a980adb8f3

arguing the case for a Universal Set U

----

This also comes to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBfhYXsZTJI

----

MY PROLOG

www.BLOCKPROLOG.com

click [LIST]

Enter:
vert [ pnt 1 2 ] [ pnt 1 4 ]

-----

OUTPUT

TRACE
vert [ pnt 1 2 ] [ pnt 1 4 ]?
vert [ pnt X Y ] [ pnt X Z ]

It gives a GREEN DISPLAY for TRUE ( a vertical line )

See how X lines up with 1
Y lines up with 2 ...

That's how mathematicians and scientists work with any formula
substituting in the variables.

Herc
--
www.BLOCKPROLOG.com

Date Subject Author
4/21/13
Read mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
4/21/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Hercules ofZeus
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/2/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Virgil
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read not testability; arises due identity relation(s)
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
Graham Cooper
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/3/13
Read Re: mathematical infinite as a matter of method
fom
5/4/13