Topic: second largest element in a matrix
Replies: 32   Last Post: May 5, 2013 10:31 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: second largest element in a matrix

On 5/5/2013 4:21 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:

>>> this is not a matrix. it is a list of a vector.

> I'm with dbp on that one. To my book it is a matrix as well. A matrix can have one
> of the size reduced to 1.
> Wikipedia definition never restrict the size large or equal to 2.
>
> Matrix backslash operator \ can be applied on matrices, vectors or scalars
>because they are all matrices.
>
> Thinking a matrix must have a size larger than 1 is human, not mathematics.
>
> Bruno

I can only go by Mathematics. In Mathematics, a matrix
is rectangular array. That is what the teacher told us
in class. I also looked up in many other places.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/matrix

"a. Mathematics A rectangular array of numeric or algebraic
quantities subject to mathematical operations.
b. Something resembling such an array, as in the regular
formation of elements into columns and rows."

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/matrix

"3 Mathematics a rectangular array of quantities or
expressions in rows and columns that is treated as a single
entity and manipulated according to particular rules."

http://chortle.ccsu.edu/vectorlessons/vmch13/vmch13_2.html

"A matrix is a collection of numbers arranged into a
fixed number of rows and columns"

http://science.yourdictionary.com/matrix

"Mathematics A rectangular array of numeric or algebraic
quantities subject to mathematical operations."

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/matrix

"math an arrangement of numbers or symbols in a pattern from top to
bottom and from left to right, used for solving problems in mathematics"

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Matrix.html

"In his 1851 paper, Sylvester wrote, "For this purpose
we must commence, not with a square, but with an oblong
arrangement of terms consisting, suppose, of m lines and
n columns. This will not in itself represent a determinant,
but is, as it were, a Matrix out of which we may form various
systems of determinants by fixing upon a number p, and
selecting at will p lines and p columns, the squares corresponding
of pth order."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_%28mathematics%29

"In mathematics, a matrix (plural matrices) is a rectangular
array of numbers, symbols, or expressions, arranged in rows and columns."

--Nasser

Date Subject Author
9/18/08
Read second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
stephanie
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Steven Lord
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Pekka
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/21/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Greg Heath
9/24/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Walter Roberson
3/4/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Justin
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Jos
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/7/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/7/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Paul
11/7/12
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
sssbi2009@gmail.com
11/19/12
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
dpb
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Paul
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Walter Roberson
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
tilindg1@gmail.com
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Nasser Abbasi
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
dpb
5/5/13