Topic: Riemann inspired Lewis Carroll to write Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
and Through the Looking-Glass (?)

Replies: 3   Last Post: May 8, 2013 9:19 AM

David Bernier

Re: Riemann inspired Lewis Carroll to write Alice's Adventures in

On 05/07/2013 04:48 PM, David Bernier wrote:
> That is what Wikipedia says, citing an article from 2004
> that is inacessible to me, ref. 4 at the Wikipedia page
> on Riemann.
>
> Cf.:
>
> Section on Riemann's influence:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Riemann .
>
> The Wikipedia page on Lewis Carroll,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lutwidge_Dodgson
>
> shows that both books appeared after Riemann's 1859 paper,
> which some say made Riemann "famous" within a short few
> years.
>
> The Wikipedia page on Lewis Carroll gives no hint of
> an influence of Riemann on Carroll ...

Quoting a 1994 book review on "Hyperspace" by physicist
Michio Kaku:

"Riemann's geometry inspired one Englishman, Oxford mathematician Lewis
Carroll, to write "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." "

[LA Times; March 15, 1994 by BETTYANN KEVLES ; SPECIAL TO THE TIMES ]

cf.:
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-03-15/news/vw-34100_1_a-scientific-odyssey-through-parallel-universes

So, is the reviewer right?

--