Topic: MATLAB Concatenation Rules for objects
Replies: 4   Last Post: May 9, 2013 9:41 AM

Steven Lord

Re: MATLAB Concatenation Rules for objects

<kzelechowski@e3tech.local> wrote in message
> class (handle (0)) == 'root';

The HANDLE function is undocumented. [The HANDLE _class_ is Abstract and so
cannot be instantiated, so this can't be a call to instantiate an object
using 0 as an input parameter. You must inherit from it to instantiate a
handle object.]

> class (libpointer) == 'lib.pointer';

Yes, libpointer returns a lib.pointer object.

> class ([ libpointer, (handle (0)) ]) == 'handle';
> % Why? The documentation says: MATLAB does not convert objects to a
> common superclass unless those objects derive from a member of a
> heterogeneous hierarchy.

You're calling out one of the four bullets in this section of the
documentation, the last one:

There are other bullets that apply to general concatenation of objects.

> % This is not the case:
> isa (libpointer, 'math.mixin.Heterogeneous') == 0;

The name of the base class used to construct a heterogeneous hierarchy is
not math.mixin.Heterogeneous. It is matlab.mixin.Heterogeneous.

> % So what is going on here? Moreover:
> numel (superclasses (libpointer)) == 0;
> numel (superclasses (handle (0))) == 0;
> % So if they were heterogeneous, the superclass would be hidden. I am not
> sure how to test for that.

What specifically are you trying to do? Why are you attempting to use
lib.pointers and the HANDLE function? What's your application?

Steve Lord