Topic: Does polynomial P need to be an affine mapping
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 10, 2013 6:45 AM

Re: Does polynomial P need to be an affine mapping

Timothy Murphy wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>quasi wrote:

>My argument is similar to yours, but possibly simpler.
>As has been established, P(x) has rational coefficients.
>Choose a prime p which does not divide any of the

It suffices for p to not divide the leading coefficient.

>Consider x = n/p^e where n is not divisible by p.

Where in this context, n is allowed to rational.

>Then it is easy to see that P(x) = m/p^{re}, where
>p does not divide m, and r is the degree of P.

Yes, where m too is allowed to be rational.

>It follows that if x is rational, and r > 1, P(x) cannot be
>of the form c/p (with c not divisible by p).

Nice, and definitely simpler.