Topic: Matheology � 258
Replies: 53   Last Post: May 11, 2013 10:07 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology 258

On 9 Mai, 21:36, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <b15d6323-e22a-4963-9519-e7f9e948e...@q8g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> > > For all n: f(n) = 1 , lim_n-->oo f(n) = 1
> > > This is required for correctly calculating differential quotients in
> > > analysis. (Just this morning I explained that in class.)

> How is
>    "For all n: f(n) = 1 , lim_n-->oo f(n) = 1"
> needed  to calculate  the differential quotient of f(x) = e^x at x = pi?

It is necessary to calculate the differential quotient of functions
like f(x) = ax + b.

> It can ONLY be of any use in correctly calculating differential
> quotients in the rare cases in which the difference quotients at a point
> are all equal regardless of the differences in x.

So it is. But even these "rare cases" belong to mathematics and have
to be solved correctly.

> I.e., when the delta-y over delta-x ratio is constant, as in linear
> functions.
>
> So apparently WM never gets anywhere beyond the derivatives of linear
> functions.

That is not an admissible conclussion. But it was to be expected from
a logician like you or like Herr Bader.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
5/6/13