Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
att1.html (6.8 K)

On 05/09/2013 02:45 PM, kirby urner wrote:

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net
> <mailto:good@nccn.net>> wrote:
>
> On 05/09/2013 08:43 AM, kirby urner wrote:

>> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net
>> <mailto:good@nccn.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/08/2013 09:16 PM, kirby urner wrote

>>> Testing is integral. Performance gets reviewed. True in
>>> scouting as
>>> well. You get badges, like grades in some ways.

>> The issue is whether the testing, whether integral or not, is
>> revealing the same information for the new way as for the old.
>>
>> A teacher in the tank for hands-on approaches reporting how
>> great the kids are doing isn't the same. The plural of
>> anecdote is not objective data.
>>

>> You know what it means to rotate an object, such that its
>> projected shadows alter on the various reference planes.
>>
>> Assuming a student's testable capabilities are projections, with
>> the student a multi-dimensional object, you want to find optimal
>> orientations for a kind of global growth. Like finding eigenvectors.
>>
>> Being "good at math" is a planar projection, a slice, and depends
>> as much on the measuring tools as performance.
>>
>> School A and School B have different curricula and different
>> tests. A "national test", if too important (say financially, to
>> the school), skews the curricula to optimize relative to the
>> national slice / plane / test, but perhaps at a cost to the kind
>> of globally optimized growth we were seeking.

> Damned straight. In California, it wasn't until a reasonable test
> was mandated statewide that the worst of the curriculums could be
> rooted out and removed.
>

> You went through some kind of Math War and now feel relieved that the
> Mathlands of the world have been beaten back. Your son was falling
> behind. New New Math was the enemy more than New Math, which had
> already gone down.

Kirby, everyone's kids were falling behind, everyone at the district was
in denial before the SAT9 was forced on them, and the New New Math is
still here. For example, Phil Daro, one of the architects of
California's whole math debacle is a prime mover of the Common Core
disaster apparently in the making.

New Math was great stuff, just inappropriate for most math teachers. One
can still buy the New Math inspired Dolciani Structure and Method
series, and they were a godsend when even the St.Sensible fell short of
my son's needs.

BTW, I'll cut the flogging of the dead horse to a minimum. I chose MIT
as the real STEM baccalaureate institution to refer to because the two
real STEM colleges that are ahead of MIT for the percentage of alums
with PhD's are both in Los Angeles County and I didn't want to trigger
any Ore-gone-ian Californiaphobia.

Most STEM cheerleaders are essentially just cargo cultists erecting poor
imitations of science, math, and engineering hoping that good STEM stuff
will drop in.

-Greg

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13