Topic: Matheology � 263
Replies: 57   Last Post: May 17, 2013 8:52 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 263

In article
<5461da31-3edf-4357-a12b-02be4857def9@d8g2000pbe.googlegroups.com>,
Graham Cooper <grahamcooper7@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 14, 6:43 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <fe808d30-0f12-4c95-8708-3d6053afe...@oy9g2000pbb.googlegroups.com>,
> >  Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > <BZZZT!>
> >
> > > Wrong!   Try again, what about 2?  Is that in your missing set ?
> >
> > Depends on whether   f(2) = { 1 , 5 , 11 } or not.
> >
> > If   f(2) = { 1 , 5 , 11 }  and    f(3) = { 2 , 4 , 6, 8 , 10 , ... }
> > then 2 and 3 will be in that set, S, but that leaves all infinitely many
> > n in |N with  n > 4 still undetermined as to membership in S where
> > "S = {n in |N | ~ n in f(n)}"
> >

> So you can't calculate any members of C.M.S. given this then?
>
> SET1 = { 1 , 3 , 6 }
> SET2 = { 1 , 5 , 11 }
> SET3 = { 2 , 4 , 6, 8 , 10 , ... }
> SET4 = { 4 , 5, 6, 7, 8 }

Specification of a particular "Cantor's missing set" or
"S = {n in |N | ~ n in f(n)}", requires first a definition of the
function f from the set of naturals |N to the power set of the set of
naturals usually denoted by P(|N) or 2^|N.

When you, or anyone else , has defined such a function completely,
then I can define a set not in the range of that function.
--

Date Subject Author
5/10/13
Read Re: Matheology � 263