Topic: Matheology � 263
Replies: 57   Last Post: May 17, 2013 8:52 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: Matheology § 263

On May 15, 8:35 am, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <f5fcc9ab-019c-42ac-a18f-9fb28b41d...@ul7g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
>  Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 15, 5:13 am, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <5461da31-3edf-4357-a12b-02be4857d...@d8g2000pbe.googlegroups.com>,

> > So the Above is a Sequence of ALL SUBSETS OF N
>
> Are you claiming that |N has only 4 sug=bsets?
>
> But you are wrong, since no mere SEQUENCE of sets can contain all
> subsets of |N.
>
> Any such sequence would, in effect, be a function, say f,  from |N to
> 2^|N, the power set of |N, and any such function, f, will never have as
> a value the set { n in |N : ~ n in f(n)}
>
> Consider any f : {1} --> {{},{1}}
> Consider any f : {1,2} --> {{},{1},{2},{1,2}}
> Consider any f : {1,2,3} --> {{},{1},{2},{3},{1,2},{1,3},(2,3}.{1,2,3}}
> None of those functions can be surjections, and they ever further from
> surjection as the sizes of the domains increase, so why expect expect
> any change in the limit?

because you are using a simple powerset function that has no bearing
on an infinite domain.
because infinite sets of subsets have different properties to finite
sets of subsets
because your algorithm (sic) never terminates
because your algorithm (sic) uses extra information to the set (the
particular permutation given)

GIVEN A LIST OF SUBSETS OF N

you admit you cannot calculate ANY members of a supposed missing set.

f(1) = { 1 , 3 , 6 }
f(2) = { 1 , 5 , 11 }
f(3) = { 2 , 4 , 6, 8 , 10 , ... }
f(4) = { 4 , 5, 6, 7, 8 }