Replies: 31   Last Post: May 19, 2013 5:46 AM

George Woodrow III

Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

I appreciate your comments. It was not my intention to suggest that the
notebook interface should be abandoned. For a lot of what I do in
Mathematica, it is very good. It is pretty close to the blank sheet of
paper you describe.

I wish it were easier to make a document/app that was essentially
displayed as a dynamic user interface alone. I have time to explore this
at length now that I have 'retired', and I hope that existing structures
(palettes??) can be adapted without too much effort. It may turn out
that for advanced work, an analogue to Workbench will be useful for UI
design and implementation.

There are points of strain, though. I don't think that a default
stylesheet will work that can be optimized both for 'print' and screen.
I am ready to be wrong about this, but the current default stylesheet
seems to please no one.

I am a big fan of Tufte as well. Many of his comments about software
design from the era of small screens that became moot with the advent of
large monitors are again relevant for mobile devices. It has always been
one of my design goals to make my software as elegant as his printed
books. I could achieve this goal when writing native apps for the
Macintosh, at the expense of a lot of time and a lot of code. I can be
100 to 1000 times more productive with Mathematica, but it remains to be
seen if I can match the level of elegance in interface design I can when
I use Xcode.

george woodrow