Replies: 81   Last Post: Jun 4, 2013 5:59 AM

szhorvat@gmail.com

Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

While some individual points are debatable, I also completely agree
with David's main message. Mathematica needs more focus, particularly
some work on stability and robustness. Even if it would come at a cost
of new features (there are many features I'd like to see, but you can't
have everything).

Re: "if I click in an existing Input cell and do a line return the
Messages window opens with a contact WRI if this happens message"

This bug (on OS X) is really annoying when typing code in another
language in a Mathematica string. If will sometimes completely ruin
the typed text if I press return several times while inside a string.
It's a bit ironic that this bug appeared in the same release which
brought us RLink (which I'm using these days, i.e. I'm typing a lot of
R code inside Mathematica strings).

On 2013-05-12 07:28:34 +0000, djmpark said:
> [...]
> see why WRI couldn't have fixed these problems by now. (Or introduced an
> actually useful feature to spell check a selection such as a Text cell or a
> Section.)
>
> The Version 9 command completion feature, which used to be great, no longer
> works well. I have turned off the auto completion feature but what is left
> still does not work as well as the Version 8 behavior. For example, if one
> types:
>
> Carm
>
> and then uses Ctrl+K to complete the command, there is only one choice,
> CarmichaelLambda. In Mathematica 8 the symbol would be automatically
> completed and the cursor would be left at the end of the word. But now
> it brings up a menu,
> even though there is only one choice, and one must click the menu. But you
> are not finished yet! No there is another menu (somewhat displaced so you
> may miss it), which is the equivalent of Ctrl+Shift+K and which we could
> have done if we wanted, so one must by-pass that by clicking at the end of
> CarmichaelLambda to get back to the normal typing entry. That's two extra
> clicks added. You might say that's not much, but when it's at the basic
> entry point for material in a notebook it is a lot.
>
> One has to wonder how many parsers there are in Mathematica for kernel,
> front end, packages, workbench and how their behavior shifts around between
> versions? Can one copy and paste an expression without its underlying
> representation changing? I suspect this may be a nagging underlying source
> of instability.
>
> I realize and appreciate that WRI continues to add new capabilities to
> Mathematica and this inevitably results in learning and stability problems.
> There could be better design efforts on these things and more professional
> testing so the designs would stick and work well. Progress might be slower
> but it would be surer.
>
> Doing mathematics is not social media. It's not done that well on an iPad.
> And iPhone, iPad technology is not necessarily appropriate for Mathematica.
> People do not want to scroll two 25" screens with their hands. Just ask
> Microsoft.
>
> Mathematics and Mathematica are intrinsically difficult enough as it is.
> That makes it all the more important that WRI present users with a stable,
> robust, easy to use basic interface. WRI had not done the best job they
> could at this and not what one would expect for a relatively expensive
> product.
>

> David Park
> djmpark@comcast.net
> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html
>

> From: r.b.nachbar@gmail.com [mailto:r.b.nachbar@gmail.com]
>

> I'm interested in making word cloud graphics, as demonstrated in the recent
> Wolfram Blog post
> http://blog.wolfram.com/2013/04/24/data-science-of-the-facebook-world/ (near
> the end of the post). Does anyone have a function that will do this?

Date Subject Author
5/12/13
Read Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/13/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
psycho_dad
5/13/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
psycho_dad
5/14/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Nasser Abbasi
5/15/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/16/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/16/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Andrzej Kozlowski
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Murray Eisenberg
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/18/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Murray Eisenberg
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
paulmchale7@gmail.com
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
paulmchale7@gmail.com
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/20/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Ingolf Dahl
5/20/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Annetts
5/22/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
mathgroup
5/23/13
Read expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:
Richard Fateman
5/24/13
Read Re: expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:
W. Craig Carter
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
mathgroup
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Alexei Boulbitch
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Alexei Boulbitch
6/4/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Bill Rowe
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/27/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Noqsi
5/28/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/31/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/1/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/4/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Andrzej Kozlowski
5/29/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
5/30/13
Read Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Noqsi
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Kevin J. McCann
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/1/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/1/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/1/13
Read Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Daniel Lichtblau
6/2/13
Read Interval vs default, was Re: Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
James Stein
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
waku
6/3/13
Read Re: Interval vs default, was Re: Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying
Daniel Lichtblau
5/27/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Noqsi
6/2/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
5/31/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Mark McClure
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Joseph Gwinn
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic
lshifr@gmail.com
6/3/13