Topic: The syntax of MATLAB is inconsistent
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 16, 2013 10:40 AM

Bruno Luong

Re: The syntax of MATLAB is inconsistent

"Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <kn074b$5li$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> <kzelechowski@e3tech.local> wrote in message

> > z .(a) = 0;
> > % means to MATLAB
> > z ('.(a)', '=', '0')
> > % is a function call

> Yes, because of the space between z and the period, assuming that z is a
> function. That is documented functionality that I believe many people use on
> a daily basis called command-syntax.
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/command-vs-function-syntax.html

This doesb't seem to work for anonymous function:

>> strcat a b

ans =

ab

>> mystrcat = @(varargin) strcat(varargin{:})

mystrcat =

@(varargin)strcat(varargin{:})

>> mystrcat a b
Error: "mystrcat" was previously used as a variable,
conflicting with its use here as the name of a function or command.
See MATLAB Programming, "How MATLAB Recognizes Function Calls That Use Command Syntax" for details.

>> mystrcat('a','b')

ans =

ab

% Bruno