Topic: The syntax of MATLAB is inconsistent
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 16, 2013 10:40 AM

Bruno Luong

Re: The syntax of MATLAB is inconsistent

<kzelechowski@e3tech.local> wrote in message <5194852e$0$1215$65785112@news.neostrada.pl>...
> % Consider:
> z .a = 0;
> % There is a space between z and the period too. Nevertheless, MATLAB does
> NOT assume that z is a function.
> % If that is consistent, I do not know what is not.

Hightight of the doc
http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/command-vs-function-syntax.html

[
In general, when MATLAB recognizes an identifier (which might name a function or a variable), it analyzes the characters that follow the identifier to determine the type of expression, as follows:

An equal sign (=) implies assignment. For example:

ls =d
]

So the syntax interpretation of "z .a =" as assignment is defined and documented. It is then consistent.

Bruno