Replies: 81   Last Post: Jun 4, 2013 5:59 AM

Dr. Peter Klamser

Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

This is an interesting discussion. But if it can be useful, we have to
make short proposals. Nobody has the time to read long texts.

A) First proposal: Identify useless or false constructions in Mathematica

aa) Eliminating Chop[] for complex numbers. Complex numbers are
oderless and therefore nobody call estimate, weather the distance of 1
+ 10^-google i to the real numbers is small or big. Chop[] is the
result of Mathematica design, that it presents often complex results, where
real values are the simpler result and can be reached by
ComplexExpand[].
The simplest solution is always the best solution.

B) Mathematica should be integrated seamless in Tex without using copy and
paste. The should be the cell type Tex, and the printout and save
modus Tex, where all other cells are suppressed.

Peter

2013/5/15 Szabolcs Horv=E1t <szhorvat@gmail.com>:

> While some individual points are debatable, I also completely agree
> with David's main message. Mathematica needs more focus, particularly
> some work on stability and robustness. Even if it would come at a cost
> of new features (there are many features I'd like to see, but you can't
> have everything).
>
> Re: "if I click in an existing Input cell and do a line return the
> Messages window opens with a contact WRI if this happens message"
>
> This bug (on OS X) is really annoying when typing code in another
> language in a Mathematica string. If will sometimes completely ruin
> the typed text if I press return several times while inside a string.
> It's a bit ironic that this bug appeared in the same release which
> brought us RLink (which I'm using these days, i.e. I'm typing a lot of
> R code inside Mathematica strings).
>
> On 2013-05-12 07:28:34 +0000, djmpark said:

>> (I've renamed this and started a new thread because my reply is not exac=
tly
>> to the question.)
>>
>> Oh, what a wonderful Wolfram blog! Earlier Stephen hinted at Mathematica=

as
>> an iPhone app. Now it's data mining Facebook data (Gee I wonder if
>> Zuckerberg has thought of that? He might be able to develop a great busi=

ness
>> model.) Can Twitter be far behind? There are many significant mathematic=
al
>> equations that will fit into 64 characters - or whatever the limit is.
>> Ramanujan would probably have done well on Twitter. And women are more
>> interested in personal relationships and men are more interested in spor=

ts?
>> Who would have thought? The average person on Facebook has 342 friends! =
Well
>> there are friends and there are friends. Montaigne wrote that his friend=
ship
>> with Etienne de La Bo=E9tie was such that "So many coincidences are ne=
eded to
>> build [it up] that it is a lot if fortune can do it once in three
>> centuries." One might say, ephemera in ephemera out.
>>
>> For the dwindling few of us who still have desktop computers and large
>> screens, or maybe two large screens, who are interested in learning or d=

oing
>> some extended mathematics, and the even fewer who would like to write
>> literate Mathematica notebooks as technical documents, I wonder if Steph=

en
>> could find some time to attend to basic Mathematica, fixing its problems=
and
>> fulfilling its vision?
>>
>> Mathematica lacks stability. Things that worked fine in one version don'=

>> work in the next. Especially troubling to me is the basic user interface=
.
>> This got much worse in Version 9 with outright bugs that are in your fac=
>> all the time. For example: often if I click in an existing Input cell an=
d do
>> a line return the Messages window opens with a contact WRI if this happe=
ns
>> message. Or if one clicks after a word in a Text like cell and uses Ctrl=
+K
>> for spell checking the message window again opens with a similar message=
. I
>> like to use spell check a lot so this is especially annoying to me. I do=
n't
>> see why WRI couldn't have fixed these problems by now. (Or introduced an
>> actually useful feature to spell check a selection such as a Text cell o=

r a
>> Section.)
>>
>> The Version 9 command completion feature, which used to be great, no lon=

ger
>> works well. I have turned off the auto completion feature but what is le=
ft
>> still does not work as well as the Version 8 behavior. For example, if =
one
>> types:
>>
>> Carm
>>
>> and then uses Ctrl+K to complete the command, there is only one choice,
>> CarmichaelLambda. In Mathematica 8 the symbol would be automatically
>> completed and the cursor would be left at the end of the word. But now
>> it brings up a menu,
>> even though there is only one choice, and one must click the menu. But y=

ou
>> are not finished yet! No there is another menu (somewhat displaced so yo=
>> may miss it), which is the equivalent of Ctrl+Shift+K and which we could
>> have done if we wanted, so one must by-pass that by clicking at the end =

of
>> CarmichaelLambda to get back to the normal typing entry. That's two extr=
>> clicks added. You might say that's not much, but when it's at the basic
>> entry point for material in a notebook it is a lot.
>>
>> One has to wonder how many parsers there are in Mathematica for kernel,
>> front end, packages, workbench and how their behavior shifts around betw=

een
>> versions? Can one copy and paste an expression without its underlying
>> representation changing? I suspect this may be a nagging underlying sour=

ce
>> of instability.
>>
>> I realize and appreciate that WRI continues to add new capabilities to
>> Mathematica and this inevitably results in learning and stability proble=

ms.
>> There could be better design efforts on these things and more profession=
al
>> testing so the designs would stick and work well. Progress might be slo=
wer
>> but it would be surer.
>>
>> Doing mathematics is not social media. It's not done that well on an iPa=

d.
>> And iPhone, iPad technology is not necessarily appropriate for Mathemati=
ca.
>> People do not want to scroll two 25" screens with their hands. Just ask
>> Microsoft.
>>
>> Mathematics and Mathematica are intrinsically difficult enough as it is.
>> That makes it all the more important that WRI present users with a stabl=

e,
>> robust, easy to use basic interface. WRI had not done the best job they
>> could at this and not what one would expect for a relatively expensive
>> product.
>>

>> David Park
>> djmpark@comcast.net
>> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html
>>

>> From: r.b.nachbar@gmail.com [mailto:r.b.nachbar@gmail.com]
>>

>> I'm interested in making word cloud graphics, as demonstrated in the rec=

ent
>> Wolfram Blog post
>> http://blog.wolfram.com/2013/04/24/data-science-of-the-facebook-world/ (=

near
>> the end of the post). Does anyone have a function that will do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob

Date Subject Author
5/12/13
Read Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/13/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
psycho_dad
5/13/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
psycho_dad
5/14/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Nasser Abbasi
5/15/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/16/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/16/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Andrzej Kozlowski
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Murray Eisenberg
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/18/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Murray Eisenberg
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
paulmchale7@gmail.com
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
paulmchale7@gmail.com
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/20/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Ingolf Dahl
5/20/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Annetts
5/22/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
mathgroup
5/23/13
Read expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:
Richard Fateman
5/24/13
Read Re: expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:
W. Craig Carter
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
mathgroup
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Alexei Boulbitch
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Alexei Boulbitch
6/4/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Bill Rowe
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/27/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Noqsi
5/28/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/31/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/1/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/4/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Andrzej Kozlowski
5/29/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
5/30/13
Read Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Noqsi
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Kevin J. McCann
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/1/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/1/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/1/13
Read Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Daniel Lichtblau
6/2/13
Read Interval vs default, was Re: Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
James Stein
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
waku
6/3/13
Read Re: Interval vs default, was Re: Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying
Daniel Lichtblau
5/27/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Noqsi
6/2/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
5/31/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Mark McClure
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Joseph Gwinn
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic
lshifr@gmail.com
6/3/13