Topic: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Replies: 30   Last Post: May 28, 2013 6:01 AM

Pubkeybreaker

Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs

On May 17, 6:42 am, rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) wrote:
> In article <4c7758a5-2b88-4756-91f1-d59d43bcd...@d6g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Pubkeybreaker  <pubkeybrea...@aol.com> wrote:

> >This is a gross misstatement of the proof. It did NOT prove that there
> >were infinitely many prime pairs.  What it did prove was that the gap
> >between primes is FINITELY BOUNDED infinitely often.  The bound is 70
> >x 10^6.

> I agree that the article (quoted from Scientific American) is unclear,
> but it appears to be using "prime pairs" to mean "successive primes",
> and "twin primes" to mean "prime pairs where the difference is 2".
>
> That makes the headline misleading because we already knew there were
> infinitely many pairs of successive primes.

Not with a finitely bounded gap between them we didn't.

Date Subject Author
5/16/13
Read First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Sam Wormley
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Wally W.
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/19/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Phil Carmody
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Tucsondrew@me.com
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
David C. Ullrich
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
joshipura@gmail.com
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
quasi
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
joshipura@gmail.com
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
quasi
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Peter Percival
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/23/13
Read even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/28/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Robin Chapman
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
byron
5/25/13