Topic: A logically motivated theory
Replies: 15   Last Post: May 21, 2013 8:22 AM

Re: A logically motivated theory

On 5/18/2013 10:40 AM, Zuhair wrote:
> In this theory Sets are nothing but object extensions of some
> predicate. This theory propose that for every first order predicate
> there is an object extending it defined after some extensional
> relation.
> This goes in the following manner:
> Define: E is extensional iff for all x,y: (for all z. z E x iff z E y)
> -> x=y
> where E is a primitive binary relation symbol.

is a model of the axiom of extensionality.

> Now sets are defined as
> x is a set iff Exist E,P: E is extensional & for all y. y E x <-> P(y)

xEX <-> ...

... is a statement quantifying over relations and predicates.

> Axioms:
> [1] If E, D are primitive binary relation symbols then:
> E,D are extensional -> (For all x,y: (for all z. z E x iff z D y) ->
> x=y).
> is an axiom.

So, for definiteness, let

E be membership

D be initial segment

in a theory for which every limit ordinal is a model.

> [2] If E, D are primitive binary relation symbols; P,Q are first order
> language formulas in which x do not occur free, then
> E,D are extensional ->
> for all x ((for all y. y E x iff Q) & (for all y. y D x iff P)) ->
> (for all y. P<->Q)
> is an axiom

You are referring to relations here using
free variables.

You probably mean 'axiom schema' here.

> [3] If P is first order predicate, then
> Exist E,x: E is extensional & for all y. y E x iff P(y)
> is an axiom.
> where E range over primitive binary relations only.

You are quantifying over relations here.

You probably mean 'axiom schema' here.

> /
> It is possible that this might interpret PA?
> The whole motivation beyond this theory is to extend any first order
> predicate by objects.

Could you please clarify this remark?

> It is a purely logical motivation.

Which logic? This is stronger than first-order
because of the quantifications.