Topic: A logically motivated theory
Replies: 15   Last Post: May 21, 2013 8:22 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: A logically motivated theory

On May 18, 10:38 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 5/18/2013 2:21 PM, Zuhair wrote:

> >> So,
>
> >> <X,E>
>
> >> is a model of the axiom of extensionality.

> >> So,
>
> >> xEX <-> ...
>
> >> where
>
> >> ... is a statement quantifying over relations and predicates.
>
> > No ... is a statement quantifying over objects.
>
> How so?  The formula seems to have an
> existential quantifier applying to a
> relation and a subformula with the
> quantified 'E' as a free variable:
>
> 'E is extensional'
>
> Using 'R' for "Relation", I read
>
> Ax(Set(x) <-> EREP(extensional(R) /\ Ay(yRx <-> P(y))))

I meant that P must be first order. There is no General so to say
membership relation E, there are separate different membership
relations all of which are 'primitive' relations.

Of course one might contemplate something like the following:

Define(E): x E X iff Exist R Exist P( extensional(R) /\ Ay(yRX <-
>P(y) /\ P(x) )

This E relation would be something like a 'general' membership
relation, but this is not acceptable here, because it is 'defined'
membership relation and not 'primitive'. When I'm speaking about
membership relations in the axioms I'm speaking about ones represented
by 'primitive' symbols and not definable ones.

Zuhair