Replies: 81   Last Post: Jun 4, 2013 5:59 AM

David Park

Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

It will be done by example. Several people will work together,
exchanging Mathematica notebooks or working on a common notebook. The
notebooks will be what I call "literate"; they will look something like
a technical paper or report, but they will take advantage of all the
active and dynamic features of Mathematica, and contain generated
knowledge in the form of active and immediately accessible routines and
definitions developed in the course of the effort.

The notebooks will be of higher integrity than paper and pencil work, or
using Mathematica as a programmed calculator and copying out because of
all the self-proofing and additional checks that can be performed. (Of
course, one can still make errors but they should be rarer and not the
common variety.)

That all this can be done in a single application is a tremendous
advantage.

Someday other people will see what they are doing and the advantages are
so great they will want to do the same thing. The task is getting more
people to write and use good examples.

David Park
djmpark@comcast.net

From: mathgroup [mailto:fizzymath@knology.net]

I want to comment on my experience , limited of course, with students of Engineering, Engineers and Professors of Engineering.....my background is Physics...

First, I get the impression that , in the main, Symbolic Computation, etc.
is not something they are really interested in......After I retired, I took several courses in Electromagnetics, one Graduate and the other Undergraduate......No one suggested the use of or taught the potential applications of Mathematica....Even in the Graduate course, I was the only student using Symbolic software ......in fact, the students did everything by hand and whenever something required software, such as Antenna patterns, out came M-------b with some code , etc....and that was the end of it....So, the students knew no better....and the Professors didnC3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2t care or werent interested themselves in the benefits of learning and solving problems Symbolically....I asked one Professor if I could give a class lecture on the
use of Mathematica for Electromagnetics...He agreed but than said 'I can
only give you about ten minutes'....I respectfully declined the offer....

So, how does WRI expand its market?....IMO, there have to be dedicated Teachers on how to use Mathematica in what I'll call the Research Mode not just define given functions from the text and plot it.......from what I have seen of the attitude of Instructors and Professors I'm anything but Optimistic....I went to our local Colleges and suggested a sequence of courses in Mathematica ending with Animation and Simulation....That got me nowhere especially with the Math Depts...so, in part, I see people who are stuck in pencil and paper and refuse to get out of it....

Again, of course, this is my limited experience...Perhaps others have had different and better ones...

Jerry Blimbaum