Topic: Average the same elements of the list
Replies: 4   Last Post: May 24, 2013 5:24 AM

Bob Hanlon

Re: Average the same elements of the list

data = {{{a1, b1, c1}, d1}, {{a2, b2, c2}, d2},
{{a1, b1, c1}, d3}, {{a2, b2, c2}, d4},
{{a1, b1, c1}, d5}, {{a3, b3, c3}, d7}};

For v7 and later

sol = Plus @@ #/Length[#] & /@
GatherBy[data, First]

{{{a1, b1, c1}, (1/3)*(d1 + d3 + d5)},
{{a2, b2, c2}, (d2 + d4)/2}, {{a3, b3, c3}, d7}}

or (probably faster for longer lists)

sol == ({#[[1, 1]], Mean[#[[All, 2]]]} & /@
GatherBy[data, First])

True

For v3 or later

sol == (Plus @@ #/Length[#] & /@
Split[data // Sort, #1[[1]] == #2[[1]] &])

True

Bob Hanlon